3 Jan 2012

Winter? Where?

As I write the title to this blog, I am sure that the snow gods are going to come after us with vengeance. Be that as it may, I shall continue writing my blog, one hand firmly touching wood.
I was waiting in breathless anticipation for our first white Christmas. Alas, no luck, we have only been blessed with a freezing wind. I am however extremely happy to report that the sun shines every day, which makes the cold more bearable.
As such, I am completely confused by the winter weather in Madrid. Thus far, it is very similar to winter in Johannesburg: blood curling cold at night and in the early morning (with the only difference that everything freezes outside, including our cars, and in light of our central heating, which I think is the best thing mankind ever thought of for winter in Europe, I am completely in love with our house), and chilly, but sunny afternoons. I have learnt the use of an ice scraper, and yes, I have broken one already.
I am even able to go for my daily walks with the red dogs, however, the playing field has levelled somewhat – the red dogs still launch a full scale attack to ensure that I get irritated enough to take them for a walk, however, the moment they step outside from our warm little casa, the ice bear winds whirls around them, their breath comes as white misty gasps, and they then attempt to re-enter our house. I am then off course the wicked witch of Madrid, and with an evil grin proceed to make them walk for at least an hour. I am however the creator of my own misfortune, since after this bone chilling walk, I have to sit in a scalding bath for at least half an hour in order to thaw my frozen body parts, since in order to walk around properly, I need to feel my limbs.
I have however been told that the winter in Madrid is usually very bad in January, February and March. I pray this is merely a rumour, since I can cope with this weather for a while still, however, I suspect I will not be so lucky.
As such, I am thankful for that our first winter in Madrid has been mild thus far. I pray that it will always be like this. Further, I am very happy that we are not camping during this time; I would have been one very unhappy camping buddy.
Now, how to appease the snow gods to have this sunny winter continue…of course they speak Spanish, so I may just cause a blizzard should I attempt to communicate with them….

2 comments:

  1. Ek verwag die winter al van Oktober af!
    Jip ek is seker dit is oppad en ons gaan nog jammer wees, want dit gaan vrek koud wees, maar vir die tyd en wyl tot winter in spoed hier aankom, is ek baie baie bly vir die lieflike weer wat ons gehad het tot dusver. Hee-hee, dalk is my storie anders as ek volgende week weer 6:00 in die oggend moet opstaan om werk toe te sukkel!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Snow gods are going to come and get you now!
    As ek kyk na die draai wat die weer gemaak het in die afgelope 24uur, plus plesierbote wat sink aan die Italiaanse kus, dan dink ek die sneeu gode is uit om ons te kom haal.

    Die weer het nou gedraai van "min of meer hanteerbaar" tot "jinne my ass gaan aan my stoel vas vries". Ek dink ons gaan sneeu kry nou binne kort as dit nie al reeds sneeu by ons huisie daar buite in die sticks nie.

    Nou ja ek hoop nie ons gaan maande hiervan he nie, want dan gaan ons regtig swaar kry!!

    ReplyDelete